Memorial Day weekend is one of the most popular camping weekends of the year, and the only thing that could make the adventure better is to add a bunch of live music.
Enter Summer Camp Music Festival.
Three days of camping gets amplified by 150-plus artists playing a combined 247 sets and over 260 hours of music.
Tailgate N’ Tallboys:Organizer explains why festival left Peoria for other Illinois locales
Here’s what you need to know about the Summer Camp Music Festival:
Where is Summer Camp Music Festival?
Three Sisters Park, located at 17189 Illinois Route 29, Chillicothe, Ill.
When is Summer Camp Music Festival?
The music festival runs May 26-28 over Memorial Day weekend, and includes an additional day for those interested in attending the pre-party on May 25.
What is the Summer Camp lineup?
How many people go to Summer Camp Music Festival?
The inaugural event in 2001 saw approximately 1,000 fans in attendance. According to edm.com, the festival’s return from the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021 saw around 25,000 patrons.
Wiz Khalifa:Rapper plans Bloomington stop for ‘The Good Trip Tour’ as part of 7-day, 7-venue jaunt
Summer Camp tickets
Here is a list of ticket options for the festival. Taxes and fees will be added to all tickets at the time of purchase.
- 3-day general admission: Tier 2 tickets are available for $244.50. The pass includes entrance into the festival starting at noon Friday, May 26, and camping for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.
- Sunday 1-Day general admission: The general admission ticket costs $74.50 and includes entrance into the festival starting at 10 a.m. Sunday, May 28, and camping for Sunday night. A VIP ticket is also available for $174.50. Perks for the upgrade include one ticket to the Sunday Red Barn Late Night show, exclusive camping area, viewing areas at each main stage, VIP Lounge access and exclusive performances, activities and games, drink specials, private air-conditioned bathrooms and showers, exclusive poster not sold to the general public and priority parking.
- Pre-Party pass: This pass runs $59.50 and includes entrance into the festival starting at noon Thursday, May 25, and camping for Thursday night.
- VIP upgrades: The event offers a variety of upgrades ranging from $349 to $1,499.50. Click here for a complete list of upgrades and their perks.
- RV/car camping spots: All sites with electricity and running water for the event are sold out. Primitive sites without electricity or running water are still available. Most vehicle types are allowed. All individuals at a campsite must possess a three-day general admission ticket. All campers showing up Thursday must have a ticket for the Pre-Party. VIP sites require an upgrade purchase. Click here for a list of rules and what is prohibited at the campsite.
- General admission primitive camping spot: Site is a 16-by-30-foot space and is located adjacent to the Starshine Stage. Cost is $324.50.
- VIP primitive camping spot: Site is a 16-by-40-foot space and is located adjacent to the Starshine Stage. Cost is $549.50.
- Volunteer: This is an opportunity to attend the festival for virtually free. General volunteers are needed to work three five-hour shifts Friday through Sunday and can pick up additional shifts on Thursday and Monday. Shifts are at 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. Green volunteer shifts work the grounds (five hours) or sorting tents (four hours). Shifts are at 8 a.m., noon and 4 p.m. Volunteers must pay a deposit of $259.50. Participants will receive a confirmation email with instructions and links to the application. There is a non-refundable application fee of $20 for each ticket. Deposit refunds will be issued around three weeks after the festival ends.
- Red Barn Late Nights: A VIP upgrade is the best way to secure a seat for these shows. Individual tickets are currently unavailable but will be coming soon.
Summer Camp Music Festival map
The festival map shows everything from parking, campsites and stages to trolley stations, water stations and vendor tents. Click here to see the festival setup.
Does Summer Camp Music Festival offer other activities?
Yes. There are multiple ways to pass the time if you need a break from a music stage, including the Soulshine Experience.
- Field Day: Four teams separated by the color of their shirts will battle it out in the event’s 13th year. Teams will battle in an eating contest, dodgeball, giant twister, tug-of-war and more. A victory party goes to the Field Day champions and the winning team is inscribed on the Summer Camp Cup trophy. Click here to register.
- Kids Camp: Passes are half price for ages 6 to 12 and children under 6 are free. These tickets are only available at the box office when patrons arrive for the festival. Kids yoga, a drum circle and a mobile pottery studio are just some of the activities on tap for kids. Arts and crafts, face painting, jewelry making and water fun are just a few ways for children to pass the time when they aren’t watching their favorite bands.
- Live Art Gallery: Part of the Soulshine Experience is the Live Art Gallery, which will once again be located on either side of the stage inside of the Soulshine Tent. Watch artists paint live to some of your favorite bands or register to be a live artist yourself. Art is left on display and available for purchase. Click here to apply to be a live artist.
- Soulpatch: Another piece of the Soulshine Experience that provides a long-term, interactive garden space at the venue and an opportunity to collaborate with like-minded individuals. Since 2016, experts have provided instructions and answers to gardening questions.
- Soulshine Scavenger Hunt: The Make a Difference Scavenger Hunt has prizes for anyone who finishes. Take your completed card to the SOULounge inside Soulshine Tent to claim your reward. Plus, participants who complete three of the 2023 action items will receive entrance to the Everyone Orchestra show in the Red Barn on Sunday afternoon. This special show offers “improvisational journeys with the most diverse of all-star musician lineups at festivals, theaters and philanthropic events across the globe,” according to the website.
- Workshops: There are hands-on art workshops, body movement workshops and more. You can even apply to host your own workshop, but you’ll be responsible for the supplies needed by your students. Click here to apply. Deadline is April 10.
Directions to Summer Camp
Three Sisters Park is approximately 15 miles north of Peoria, Ill. Click here for a snapshot of directions from any direction you’ll be traveling.
Summer Camp Music Festival FAQ
Click here to find answers to the most popular questions about the festival, and click here for information about accessibility.
Chris Sims is a digital producer for the Journal Star. Follow him on Twitter: @ChrisFSims.